After some long running rumors, Canon is officially entering the mirrorless camera market with the introduction of Canon EOS M with an EF-M mount and its compatible lenses. The new mirrorless camera shares many of its features with the Canon EOS 650D, including an 18-megapixel APC-sized sensor and a 14-bit DIGIC5 image processor.
The new addition will heavily compete with some of the existing big players including Nikon’s 1, Pentax’s K-01, Panasonic’s G Series, and Sony’s NEX series.
Featuring the DIGIC 5 processor, the EOS M is capable of shooting 4.3 frames per second with ISO ranging from 100 to 12,800 (expandable to ISO 25,600). Two new M lenses are available – the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM pancake and the EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM standard zoom.
The new lenses will not have the auto-manual focus switch buttons, or the IS button, however, the user will be able to change this through the camera’s menu. Additionally, Canon is also introducing its Mount Adapter EF-EOS M, which will allow photographers to use their EF and EF-S lenses.
The Canon EOS M is capable of recording full-HD videos with stereo sound. It also comes with an in-camera editing mode that is simple to use in the three-inch Clear View LCD II Touch screen.
The Canon EOS M will be available for $799.99 from October, with two colors to choose from: black or white. The white version bundled with the new EF-M 22mm f/2 STM kit lens will be exclusively available through the Canon Online store, shop.usa.canon.com. To use your existing Canon EF and EF-S lenses, the Mount Adapter EF-EOS M can be purchased for an additional cost of $199.99.
Canon EOS M Key Features
- New EF-M lens mount (optimized for APS-C sensor size)
- 14-bit DIGIC5 processor
- 18MP APS-C ‘Hybrid CMOS’ sensor
- ISO 100-12800 standard, 25600 expanded
- 4.3 fps continuous shooting, 3 fps with AF tracking
- Scene Intelligent Auto mode delivers expertly optimized photos and scene detection for amazing results even when shooting at night
- Advanced imaging features like Handheld Night Scene mode, HDR Backlight Control mode, and seven Creative Filters provide added versatility
- Multi-shot Noise Reduction helps preserve precious detail in photos at high ISO speeds
- 1040k dot 3:2 touch-sensitive ClearView II LCD (capacitative type, multi-touch support)
- Standard EOS hot-shoe for external flash (no built-in flash)