The days of bland and useless new tab pages are long gone. Opera kick started the evolution of new tab pages by introducing Speed Dials and was soon followed by other browser manufacturers. Mozilla has been playing around with various concepts for a long time. However, they are yet to implement any of the proposed changes. In case you are tired of waiting, New Tab King extension for Firefox may be just the extension you need.
New Tab King is a powerhouse when it comes to features. Here are some of the stuff that New Tab King adds to your New Tab page:
- Most used websites list.
- List of recently closed tabs.
- Shortcuts to your favorite applications like Windows Media Player, Calculator or Notepad.
- To-Do List, which help you in getting things done.
- Personalized website recommendations based on your surfing habits.
- Search bar, which supports dozens of websites including Rapidshare, eBay, Facebook, Flickr and NY Times.
Although New Tab King requires minimal intervention on your part to get started, it provides plenty of configuration options for the advanced user. You can create search and applications shortcuts, build website exclusion lists and even change the page background.
Techie Buzz Verdict
Safari may have a more glamorous new tab page, but New Tab King takes the crown for being the most useful one. The latest beta of New Tab King also adds an Opera like thumbnail mode along with a cool looking (but rather pointless) analytics mode. New Tab King converts Firefox’s bland New Tab page into an awesome start page. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
Techie Buzz Rating: 4.5/5 (Excellent)