Recently, someone posted a comment at my website, telling me about two useful and free Windows Live Writer Plugins from Kobi Pinhasov. The first plugin that I tried out was called Import and Export Settings Wizard. (also see Windows Live Writer Backup)
Kobi mentioned how that he’d always hated trying to sync up his WLW between different PCs. He decided to write a plugin to solve that problem. According to his blog post, this plugin will import and export the Configuration Settings, Auto links glossary, Preferences, Blog Accounts and the Installed Plug-ins. While exporting, you can save the backups in a local folder, network folder or FTP. He also plans to add the ability to export to SkyDrive and other cloud backup sites soon.
Here are some screen-shots as I tried out the Import Export Wizard plugin.
1. As you can see, you will access the wizard via your Insertmenu in WLW.
2. You are first offered a choice as to what you’d like to do. I chose to Export my settings.
3. Next you can pick and choose which settings to back up.
4. As you can see below, I chose to export settings to My Dropbox account so that I could access them from anywhere on the web.
5. After a few seconds, the wizard reported that it was done.
Once I finished exporting, I checked the output folder that I’d selected and found the files that the wizard had created.
I have not checked out the Import setting on this plugin yet, but I do know at least one person who’s been using it, besides the author, that is.
Download this plugin at: Import and Export Wizard for Windows Live Writer
Techie Buzz Verdict
Using this plugin, you may save yourself a good number of headaches and save time. I like the way it works and I may give it a better rating once the author adds access to other web file hosting services.
Techie Buzz Rating: 3/5
Be sure to add a comment below or email me. I’d love to hear from you.