Sony Ericsson has announced two eco-friendly phones- Elm and Hazel under the GreenHeartinitiative. Greenheart is an initiative to manufacture handsets with recycled plastic materials. This would eventually help to reduce the CO2 emissions. Both of the phones offer consumers a green choice without compromising on features or fun.
- Clear voice and intelligent volume adaptation with Noise shield technology
- Natural fit in the palm of a hand with a design featuring human curvature and ergonomic keypad
- Secure information online at Sonyericsson.com and backup personal data over the air
- Access Facebook, MySpace and Twitter and browse social networking sites
- Integrated 5.0-megapixel auto-focus camera to take pictures of friends and family and upload photos to blogs and Web sites
- Built-in MP3 player with SensMe, MegaBass, PlayNow and TrackID technology
- Features Google search and Google Maps, Wisepilot for turn-by-turn navigation with A-GPS
- Noise shield for clear voice and intelligent volume adaptation
- Human curvature and ergonomic keypad ensures a natural fit in the palm of a hand
- Backup personal data over the air on Sonyericsson.com to secure information
- Switch to social networking sites like Facebook, MySpace and Twitter
- Built-in 5.0-megapixel auto-focus camera to snap photos of friends and family and upload images to blogs and Web sites
- Integrated MP3 player with SensMe, MegaBass, PlayNow and TrackID features
- Access to Google search and Google Maps, Wisepilot for turn-by-turn navigation with A-GPS
The Elm and Hazel handsets will be available in the first and second quarters of 2010, respectively.
The Nokia 5530 has just received a firmware update to version 20.0.080. This upgrade includes updated versions of Ovi Store, Ovi Maps, Nokia Music widget and more, but does not include kinetic scrolling in all the screens.
You can update your 5530 using the inbuilt OTA (Over The Air) or you can use Nokia’s Software Updater Method on your PC. Although, this update supports UDP (User Data Preservation), it’s better not to risk your important data and have additional backup.
Until now, we could only search on Google either by typing or using Google Voice search. Now, Google has launched an amazing new service for Android phones Visual search engine. All you need to do is, click a picture of any object using your phone’s camera. Goggles, Google’s new application will then attempt to recognize the object and provide you with required information. This is exactly like Nokia’s Point and find technology.
As this is still a nascent technology, Google only recognizes items like landmark and art work . You may check out the video to get more information how this works:
You can download the Google Goggles application from the Android Market.
Motorola Droid which is available on the Verizon network, the Android based Smartphone, has recently received an Android 2.0.1 update. You can update via OTA (Over The Air).
Just a recap of the Moto Droid features:
Motorola Droid is the first Smartphone that runs on Google Android 2.0 (Eclair) Operating System. It sports a 3.7touch screen display, a 5 mega-pixel camera with auto focus and LED flash. Other features includes a sliding QWERTY keyboard, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, built-in GPS receiver, 3.5 mm headset jack, accelerometer, 32GB expandable memory.
The Change log of Android 2.0.1 on Motorola Droid includes:
- The OS stability is improved.
- Battery life has improved.
- Enhancements for three-way calling.
- Audio for incoming calls has improved.
- When receiving a call on call waiting, the speakerphone now remains on.
- The Bluetooth functionality has improved and the background echo has now been eliminated. Bluetooth phone book transfer of contacts to in-vehicle Bluetooth solutions has been improved.
- After closing a GPS application, the GPS icon will now automatically be removed from the notification panel.
- Users can now receive SMS and MMS messages after an EMS message is received.
- SMS and MMS may now be sent to any seven digit addresses.
- Google contact merging has been updated to accommodate seven-digit numbers.
- Visual Voice Mail notices now arrive instantaneously.
- The corporate calendar widget user interface is updated.
Nokia has announced the availability of Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition in the U.S. It also comes with a lifetime voice-guided navigation for North America and a car kit for a price tag of $299.
The Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition features Ovi Maps for mobile and it also comes with pre-loaded maps for the entire U.S. and Canada. Of course you can download maps of additional countries using Nokia Map Loader. Other features of Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition include: stereo speakers and surround sound, playback time of up to 35 hours, HSDPA internet connection, a 3.2 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics and memory expandable up to 16GB.
The Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition retails for approximately 299 USD and is available through www.nokiausa.com and other independent online and retail channels in the United States. If you buy this device before December 31st, you will get a 50 USD Visa prepaid gift card by Nokia to buy mobile applications, videos, games and more from the Nokia Ovi Store.
When Wolfram Alpha app last appeared on the App store for $50, we ran a small poll to find out whether users would pay $50 for an app which has no additional features than that of its web version that is freely available. Not quite surprisingly, 94% of people voted for NO.
Now, Wolfram has pulled down its iPhone version of webpage and is promoting its very expensive iPhone app instead. The iPhone version of Wolfram Alpha now redirects to a page that is linked to the iTunes link to download the iPhone app.
Although Wolfram Alpha is quite interesting and tremendously useful app, we feel $50 is way to high for the app and Wolfram Alpha leaves no other option on iPhone/iPod than to download the app.
Christopher Monro DeLorenzo has designed an amusing set of stickers for your keyboard. Each image represents the corresponding key to it. Like Pirate represents P.
Targeting the students, these stickers contain cultural icons to Greek mythology, this keyboard sticker set will advance the alphabetical knowledge of any child, or adult. If you are interested in buying those stickers, you will have to wait. These stickers are not available as of now, but you can contact Christopher Monro DeLorenzo via his website and he will let you know when they are available.
Nimbuzz, recently launched the Nimbuzz app for BlackBerry. Nimbuzz for BlackBerry lets you connect to the most popular social networks and IM communities like Skype, Facebook, WLM (MSN), MySpace, Yahoo, Gtalk and many more!
- runs in background allowing you to be online and available to your friends while writing an email, watching a movie or updating your agenda
- connects you to all your friends stay in touch with all your friends from the most popular social networks and instant messaging communities
- brings home screen notification whenever you receive a chat and the app is running in background you will see a notification on your home screen
- auto-reconnects whenever you lose the connection Nimbuzz will try to reconnect you switching between 3G, 2G or Wi-Fi searching for an available internet connection
- ClickableURL’s for a complete online experience you can open the links from chats or personal messages.
Many a times, BlackBerry service provider blocks a certain Instant Messaging app on your Blackberry device. In my case, it is Gtalk and I am heavily dependant on Gtalk for communication. A third part app comes to rescue in such situations and Nimbuzz does a great job. While I was connected to the app server, it disconnected me frequently asking me to reconnect again and again, which gets quite frustrating in long run. Now, I have no idea whether it was the fault with the app or with my GPRS provider.
This new app is specially designed for Blackberry O.S. 4.6 and higher. You can download the new Nimbuzz for Blackberry from Nimbuzz.com or via Blackberry App World .
Few screenshots of Symbian^3 concept were shown off during the Nokia’s Capital Markets Day event. The new UI looks astonishingly fresh. Symbian^3 is just a concept, so, the final outcome may differ in many aspects. Check out the screenshots of the UI:
Opera today announced the new beta versions of Opera mini 5 and Opera Mobile. With this release, Opera has integrated features like Opera Link and the Download Manager into both the mobile browsers.
With Opera Link, you can synchronize all your bookmarks and speed dial with the Opera for desktop. Since this is a beta version we would highly recommend using a test account first for the bookmark synchronization, as there is a chance that you might lose your important bookmarks. Download Manager gives a smart way to control your downloads from within the browser.
Both the browsers, Opera Mini 5 beta 2 and Opera Mobile beta continue to share the unified look. Besides Opera Link and Download Manager, both continue to sport features like tabbed browsing, mobile view, password manager, Adaptive zoom, Landscape mode. The touch screen versions also support copy/paste feature which is quite revealing.
Check out the video:
You can download Opera Mini 5 Beta and Opera mobile by pointing your browser to Opera Next Mobile.