Earlier this month, it was rumored that Apple will be launching a standalone podcast app in iOS 6. Turns out, instead of waiting for the next version of iOS, Apple has released a brand new Podcasts app on the App Store today. The app is available for free and it is designed both for the iPad and iPhone. The app requires iOS 5.1 or later. [App Store]
“Podcasts app is the easiest way to discover, subscribe to and play your favorite podcasts on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch,” Apple’s official description reads. “Explore hundreds of thousands of free audio and video podcasts from the Podcasts Catalog, and play the most popular podcasts, organized for you by topic, with the all-new Top Stations feature.”
Apple has highlighted the full list of features in the Podcasts application:
- Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
- Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
- Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
- Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
- Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
- Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
- Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
- Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
- Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
- Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
- Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices
Apple also noted that in order to optionally sync episodes of podcasts, users must be running iTunes 10.6.3 or later on their Mac or PC. Also, streaming or downloading episodes requires Internet access over Wi-Fi or a cellular data connection.
The app is really well done and makes listening to podcasts in iOS much easier.