Hi to all our readers, we know that you might have been facing some problems while accessing the website for past few days. However, it was not a problem with our servers, it was a planned move to move to a more powerful and stable server.
For the past one year we have been running the site on a Ubuntu Hardy server, however, we have now made the switch to Karmic Koala, for several reasons.
- Karmic Koala is the latest version of Ubuntu and is more powerful than Hardy.
- Karmic Koala has a huge support base as compared to Fedora and RHEL.
For those of you who are interested in the new setup, here are some juicy details:
- Our new server is from Slice Host and runs on Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala), is powered by Quad Core processors and has RAID10 storage.
- It has 4GB of dedicated RAM.
- Our cache server to host images and other assets is powered by Dreamhost.
- We run a custom setup of Nginx, MySQL 5, and PHP 5 with PHP Fast CGI.
We have seen a huge jump in the site load times and this will eventually benefit our readers. Please let us know if the site loads faster or slower for you.
As further planned maintenance, we will be redesigning the homepage and other aspects of the site to make it load blazing fast no matter what type of connection you use.
These changes will be gradually rolled out over the month, so hopefully by end of January 2010, Techie Buzz should load in 1-2 seconds for most of our users.
Oh and yes, we will still continue to bring you the best news and views as usual. Thanks once again for all your support.