The Xperia S is the first phone from Sony’s stable after the company-parted ways with Ericsson. It is also the first phone from the Japanese company to feature a dual-core processor, a 720p HD screen, 1GB of RAM and a stunning 12MP camera. While the Xperia S is no Galaxy S III, it is still a decent phone except that it runs on Android 2.3 Gingerbread. While Sony has promised that it will be updating the Xperia S to Ice Cream Sandwich in Q2 of 2012, the initial sales of the handset are surely going to be affected by the older version of Android.
Even though the Xperia S comes with Gingerbread, it comes with an updated version of Sony’s OEM skin with some new additions like Smart Dialing, new Music Player, updated Timescape and Facebook integration and much more.
Now, an XDA member – Championswimmer – has managed to port the Xperia S firmware to Sony’s first Android handset, the X10. Even though the Xperia S ROM is not intended for the X10, it works flawlessly and smoothly on the handset. Unlike the usual ports which contains some bugs or some broken hardware, the developer has made sure that every feature of the phone like Camera, Wi-Fi etc. are working out of the box.
The developer has also added some extra tweaks to the ROM including 6 toggle buttons in the status bar, xLoud, Bravia engine, root access and EDT tweaks.
Below is a quick run-down of all the features of the ROM -:
- New Music Player (with SensMe & Gracenote integration)
- New Timescape with All New SocialTimescape Widgets
- New Homescreen Widgets all from Xperia S
- Equaliser with Clear Bass and Clear Stereo 100% port
- New DLNA, PowerSaver
- Latest Bravia binaries
- New MMS app and New Prediction Dialler
- Latest Facebook integration with InfiniteView
- Latest Home app
- Latest widgets from Xperia S (weather, tools, clock) (i can’t remember all)
- All other Xperia S apps (i can’t remember all)
- Play Launcher
- Status Switch
- Active Desk Clock
- 6 toggles in status bar
- init.d tweaks for smoothness and battery
- pure stock feeling (no extra fancy tweaks/features/apps)
- autorooted with latest busybox+superuser
- Edt tweaks (to change clock colour,battery%,signal bars dbm in status bar)
Interested Xperia X10 owners can download the ROM, and find an installation guide over at this thread on XDA.