HTC had officially released a web-based bootloader-unlocking tool for their handsets sometime ago. Owners of HTC’s latest high-end smartphones can use the web-based tool to unlock the bootloader on their handset, and gain root access.
However, unlocking the bootloader on your handset will void its warranty. Once you have unlocked the bootloader on your handset, there is no going back. You will have to bid adieu to your phone’s warranty once and for all.
Another implication of using HTC’s method to unlock the boot loader will be that you will have S-ON on your device, forever. This will make rooting and flashing on your handset considerably harder.
So I would highly recommend using a third-party bootloader-unlocking tool for your handset, if it exists. If not, well then HTC’s web-based bootloader unlocking tool is your best bet.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to unlock the bootloader of your HTC handset -:
- Head over to HTC’s bootloader unlocking portal, and press the ‘Begin Unlock Bootloader’ button.
- If you have not already registered at HTC Dev, do so. If you have, just log in with your credentials.
- Select all the terms and conditions, and press the ‘Proceed to Unlock Instructions’ option.
- You need to boot your handset into Fastboot mode. To do so, switch off the handset, and re-insert its battery.
- Now, Press the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to boot your device into bootloader mode. Use the Volume buttons to navigate to the Fastboot option, and select it using the Power Button.
- Now, connect your device to your computer, and press the ‘Proceed to Step 5’ button on the HTC Dev Bootloader unlock tool.
- If you don’t already have the Android SDK, download it from here. Extract it inside a new folder on your desktop.
- Now just follow the on-screen instructions shown by HTC’s web-based bootloader tool.
- If you have followed all the steps properly, you will get your handset’s identifier token. Copy-paste the whole thing inside the dialog box on the HTC’s bootloader unlocking tool and press the Submit button.
- If it throws some error, just repeat the above step and the tool will unlock the bootloader on your handset.