If you have already rooted your Android handset, you can install a Custom ROM on it to improve its performance, or to add new features or get the latest version of Android on your handset.
Before proceeding with installing the custom ROM, users should keep in mind that installing a ROM will wipe the phone clean from all their apps, SMS and contacts. Your SD card will not be formatted, so your music, pictures and documents are safe.
The steps stated below require that you have a rooted phone with ClockworkMod recovery installed. Please make sure that the ROM you are flashing can be flashed via CWM (ClockWorkMod) recovery. All ROMs which can be flashed via CWM, end with a .zip extension.
Below are the steps to flash a custom ROM on your phone via CWM -:
1. Transfer the Custom ROM from your computer to your phone’s internal memory or if unavailable, the external SD card.
2. Reboot into recovery. Every phone has a different way of booting into recovery, so I suggest users to install the ‘Quick Boot’ app from the Market, and use it to boot into Recovery.
3. When your phone boots into CWM, it will look similar to the screenshot shown below.
4. Before installing a new ROM, you need to remove the current ROM. To do so, navigate to the “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” using the volume keys of your phone. Then select the option by using either the Home button or the Power button. It varies from phone to phone and with different CWM versions, so if one does not work the other one will.
After selecting the desired option, users will need to select the ‘Yes’ option.
5. After this, navigate to ‘Mounts & Storage’ and select the ‘Format /system’ partition option.
6. Now, it’s time to flash the custom ROM on your handset. Navigate to the ‘Install zip from SD card’ and select the Custom ROM you had transferred on your phone’s internal/external memory on step 1.
7. Once the flashing is done, use the ‘Reboot System Now’ option to reboot your phone.
8. You have now successfully managed to flash a custom ROM on your Android handset. Keep in mind that the first boot after flashing the custom ROM takes some time (nearly 2-3mins). If your phone does not boot even after 5-10mins, repeat all the steps stated above.