How To Root Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
Sprint’s variant of the Samsung Galaxy S II has a pretty long name – Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch. The handset sports a gigantic 4.52-inch Super-AMOLED+ display with WVGA (800×480) resolution. The internal specifications of the handset remain similar to its European sibling.
Please read this before rooting your Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch-
After flashing a custom kernel on the Epic 4G Touch, a small exclamation mark will be shown every time the phone is rooted. This happens because the Epic 4G Touch has a custom counter, which keeps a track of how many times a user has flashed a custom kernel on his phone. The only way to remove this exclamation work is to use a USB JIG, which resets the custom counter to 0.
The Samsung Epic 4G Touch is similar to the European version of the Galaxy S II, except for a bigger screen and different radios. The rooting processes of both the phones are pretty similar as well.
Below are the steps to root the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch-:
- First of all, users need to download ODIN to flash the pre-rooted kernel on their handset. It can be downloaded from here (v1.85).
- The pre-rooted kernel can be downloaded from here.
- If you have not already installed KIES, please do so. It will automatically install all the required USB drivers. KIES can be downloaded from here.
- Extract ODIN from inside the rar file, in a new folder on your Desktop.
- After this, start ODIN and click on the PDA button. Select the pre-rooted kernel which you downloaded on Step 2. Keep in mind that the pre-rooted kernel which you select should always have a .tar extension.
- Boot your Epic 4G Touch in Download mode. To do so, power off the device and remove its battery. Put the battery back in, and press the Volume Down + Power Key simultaneously. Press the Volume Up button when your phone gives you a warning about a custom OS.
- Once the phone boots into the Download mode, it will show an Android logo with “Downloading…” written below it. Connect it to your computer, and ODIN will automatically detect your phone, and the COM box will glow in yellow.
- When the phone is detected, press the Start button and wait for the tool to flash the pre-rooted kernel on your handset.
- Your Epic 4G Touch will automatically restart, and you will have root access on your handset!