Below are the key features of Android 4.0.3 based for x86 devices -:
- Kernel 3.0.8 with KMS enabled. Most tablets/netbooks can run Android-x86 in the native resolution.
- OpenGL hardware acceleration for AMD Radeon and Intel chipsets. However, if you have trouble with it, you can disable it by adding HWACCEL=0 to the cmdline.
- Support Wifi, multitouch and audio.
- Experimental support of Renderscript.
- Hybrid mode of iso images.
- A new text based GUI installer which supports ext3/ext2/ntfs/fat32 filesystems.
- External usb drive and sdcard are auto mounted on plugging.
- Compressed filesystem (squashfs)
There are still a few issues with this build, like the camera does not work, no support for Ethernet and the Suspend/Resume feature might not work on some devices.
Readers who are interested in trying out Ice Cream Sandwich on their x86 PCs can download the required ISO file from here. Advanced users and developers can find more info about Ice Cream Sandwich for x86 devices here.